Professional Artist – Painter & Printmaker 7/92-present
• My artwork currently explores color in simple rhythms; of poetry of color, line and space.
Substitute Instructor – The Art Students League of New York 02/14-present
• Demonstrations, group and individual instruction in Sherry CamhyÕs Drawing Class
Visual Arts Teacher – New York City Dept. Of Education 9/07-Present
• Explorations Academy High School, Bronx, NY (9/07 – 6/13)
• The Heritage School, New York, NY (9/13-Present)
• Teach high school classes in: Studio Art I & II, AP-art, Computer Graphics I & II, Computer Technology and Game Design
Drawing Instructor Spring Studio, New York, NY. 12/01-1/03
• Taught adult class on anatomy and drawing
Founder & Executive Director, artHARLEM. Inc, NY, NY 6/04- 12/11
• artHARLEM is a nonprofit arts organization of artists, dedicated to increasing public awareness of contemporary art through artist studio tours, exhibitions, articles, lectures & performances
• Event Organizer – Harlem Open Artist Studio Tour (HOAST), an annual two-day self-guided walking tour of over 100 studios and exhibitions of contemporary artistsÕ across Harlem, NY. Attended by approximately 2,000 visitors annually.
• Directed: artHARLEM website, HOAST Event Maps, advertisements & all press release.
• Raised funds through grants, membership, advertising and donations & managed annual budget of $15,000-20,000.
• Directed and supervised artHARLEM staff in organizing HOAST, studio visits, talks & exhibitions proposals
• Collaborated with community & arts organizations, in increase arts awareness around Harlem.
• Coordinated security with Harlem precincts and community boards, for HOAST events.
Custom Stained Glass Windows Reuben Sinha Stained Glass Studio, New York, NY
• Worked with private clients to design and fabricate original stained glass art as commissions.
Art Director – Masala Magazine, New York, NY 7/95- 6/97
• Directed content and style for bimonthly Asian Indian-American lifestyles magazine.
Freelance Graphic Designer, New York, NY 7/95-9/00
• Worked in print media for various clients around New York, using Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign & Quark X.
ASL Gallery Exhibition Curated by Deborah Winiarski, New York, NY 03/14
ASL Gallery Exhibition Curated by Leonid Lerman, New York, NY 04/14
ASL Gallery Exhibition Curated by Sherry Camhy, New York, NY 05/14
HOAST2011 (6th Annual Harlem Open Artist Studio Tour), New York, NY 10/11
ASL Gallery Exhibition Curated by Maurzio Pellegrin, New York, NY 05/11
Exhibition of Printmakers, Macy Gallery, New York, NY 04/10
HOAST2009 (5th Annual Harlem Open Artist Studio Tour), New York, NY 10/09
HOAST2008 (4th Annual Harlem Open Artist Studio Tour), New York, NY 10/08
Erasing Borders – Contemporary Indian Arts @ Tabla Rasa Gallery, The Guild Gallery, Brownson Art Gallery, Hammond Museum, Queens Museum of Art, & Santa Monica Art Studios 10/08
HOAST2007 (3rd Annual Harlem Open Artist Studio Tour), New York, NY 10/07
Sustenance, Group Exhibition, Next Gallery, New York, NY 09/07
Solo Exhibition, EMCArts, New York, NY 09/07
Group show, Contemporary Art in Harlem, Alternative Space @ 737 St. Nicks., Harlem, NY 06/07
2nd Annual Harlem Open Artist Studio Tour, New York, NY 09/06
Harlem Is Art…,Group show, Columbia University, Neiman Gallery, New York, NY 07/05
1st Annual Harlem Open Artist Studio Tour, New York, NY 05/05
Montclair State University Art 2004, Group show, University Art Gallery, Upper Montclair, NJ 11/04
Erasing Borders – Passport to Contemporary Indian ArtsÕ, Group show, New York, NY 09/04
Confrontations & Revelations, Solo Exhibition, Carroll Community College, Westminster, MD 09/03
NY State Professional License K-12 Visual Arts Teacher 8/07
Ed.M. in Art & Art Education Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, NY 10/12
M.A. in Art & Art Education Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, NY 5/07
B.F.A. in Art History College of Arts and Science, New York University, New York, NY 5/88
Additional Educational Accomplishments
U.S. Fulbright Fellowship 9/97-7/98
Edward G. MacDowell Traveling Grant 8/92-6/94
Arts Students League of New York, New York, NY (Founded in 1875, ASL is an atelier school dedicated to sustaining the tradition of artists taught by artists. The process of making art is developed through immersion in practice, and emphasizing mastering skills and visual thinking.) 10/88-6/95, 9/08 –
Founder: ASL Summer Arts Scholarship, New York, NY.
Created and maintain a fundraiser and scholarship program to allow urban high school youths to enroll fulltime at the Art Students League of New York for intensive summer study. 2008-
Member of Steering Committee, Harlem Biennale, New York, NY
Plan and implement attainable short and long-term goals for community arts organization towards the start of Art Biennale in Harlem, NY.
Panelist: NYFA’s Business of Art Conference.
The importance of creating a community and its relation to the business of being an artist. 10/08
References furnished upon request — updated June 2014